K-3 Dynamite Mussels
Recipe type: Appetizer
This is a K-Twist on Japanese-style dynamite mussels. K-3 adds a touch of heat and a lot of complexity to the Kewpie-style mayonnaise.
- Egg yolks, large 2 each
- Sea salt 1 tsp
- Japanese (or Dijon) mustard 1 tsp
- Lemon juice 1 Tablespoon
- Rice Vinegar 3 Tablespoons
- Canola oil 1¼ cup
- K-3 Keenan's "Be Afraid" hot sauce 1 Tablespoon (if you favor more heat, make it 2 Tablespoons)
- New Zealand green lipped mussels, either frozen or fresh. Allow 2-3 per person for an appetizer portion.
- Fresh lemon wedges for garnish
- Thinly sliced scallions for garnish
- Other garnish options- smelt roe, toasted sesame seeds
- Place the egg yolks, sea salt, mustard, rice vinegar and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Slowly but steadily stream the canola oil into the mixture while blending with the food processor
- The mayo will thicken as you blend in the oil
- When the oil is incorporated, add the K-3 Sauce
- Blend until evenly distributed and smooth
- If using fresh mussels, steam them until they open, about 10 minutes. Discard the top shell and arrange on a cookie sheet
- If using frozen mussels, arrange them on the cookie sheet. Allow them to thaw, and use a paper towel to absorb excess juices.
- Remove the mussel from the shell, then replace in the shell. This will release the connective tissue and make the mussels easier to eat.
- Evenly cover the mussels with the K-3 mayonnaise. Use about 1 Tablespoon of the mayo, more or less, depending on the size of the mussels. The sauce will melt and spread over the mussels.
- Turn your broiler oven on high and place the mussels under the broiler
- Broil for about 10 to 12 minutes, checking frequently and turning the sheet tray so the mussels brown evenly.
- When evenly browned, remove from the oven and garnish with your choice of thinly sliced green onions, smelt roe, or toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately with lemon wedges